Humans of Columbia: Resubmission



If you have heard of the popular account Humans of New York, you will be familiar with this style photo assignment. Since I am clearly not located in New York, this project is titled Humans of Columbia. 

Before starting I was overly nervous to approach strangers and ask about their personal lives,  as I am a fairly shy person. To my surprise, I found my nerves were all for nothing. Through this experience I met some interesting people with inspiring stories. 


Caption 1: Sandra, right and Marcus, left, relax on a brick retaining wall while enjoying a sunny afternoon. Together they sit peacefully and look out toward the busy streets of downtown Columbia, Mo. on Jan. 28, 2016.

Caption 2: Sandra and Marcus met on Valentine's Day at the soup kitchen many years ago. their long-term relationship, as they approach the anniversary of the day they met on Valentine's Day at a local soup kitchen. 


Caption 1: Savannah Rudicel, a freshman student at the University of Missouri-Columbia stops on Broadway Street to take a picture of the buildings for her journalism class, in Columbia, Mo. on Jan. 28, 2016. Her 17 credit hour work load requires a lot of work outside the classroom.

Caption 2: Rudicel says she loves to spend her afternoons resting after class before she spends her nights finishing homework. She hopes all of her hard work will pay off one day as she dreams of working as an international correspondent, much like her role model, Christiane Amanpour.


Caption 1. Morgan Miller stops his walk through Peace Park in Columbia, MO to share a special moment with his dog, George. The two are happy to show off their high five routine on Jan. 28, 2016

Caption 2. "George is actually the reason I am no longer on anti-depressants"- Miller

As you might be able to tell from these photos, you never know what different stories every person is going to have. To me I feel this project brings to life the old saying "you should never judge a book by its cover". Just because a person looks a certain way, doesn't mean they are going to have the story you would expect.


I am very glad I was able to step out of my comfort zone for this, because it was a truly great experience.

No comments